The Bougainvillea Hotel has been working diligently towards a culture of environmental sustainability. We have a continued awareness of the need for sustainable development and the role that responsible corporate citizens must play.
What is sustainable development?
What is CST?
Physical-biological environment: evaluation of the interaction between the business and the environment with special attention to the implementation of policies and programs related to sustainable development and protection of the environment.
Clientele: evaluation of what management does to invite its clients' participation in the implementation of the sustainable development policies of the company.
Socioeconomic environment: we are evaluated to determine how much interaction our company has with the surrounding communities. This section of the evaluation may include, for example, an analysis of how tourist companies respond to the growth and development of the region by creating employment or other community benefits.
For more information on this program, please visit www.turismo-sostenible.co.cr
Our commitment: What can we do?
What is the Bougainvillea Hotel doing?
- Utilizing natural resources in the best possible manner
- Honoring the socio-cultural authenticity of the communities
- Engaging in economic activities that are viable long-term and provide fairly distributed socioeconomic benefits to everyone who participates in the hotel activities. Such benefits include stable employment opportunities, as well as social benefits and services for the surrounding communities, thus contributing to the reduction of poverty.
- Creating the Bougainvillea Foundation to carry out actions oriented to help different organizations of welfare, sustainability and education.
- Following up on activities related to sustainable development
- Communicating relevant information such as rules and regulations related to sustainable development to different groups
Here are some of the practices we have implemented:
• We compost part of the organic waste from the kitchen and the restaurant.
• We inform and train the hotel personnel regarding the recycling of glass, paper, cardboard, aluminum, and other materials. This effort includes the separation of such materials in our gathering center, as well as working in cooperation with the recycling program of the municipality of Santo Domingo de Heredia and the ADOGA Association (Asociación Domingueña de Gestión Ambiental), a local association devoted to environmental matters.
• We send organic waste materials to a pig farm
• We purchase products in bulk to reduce waste
• We utilize biodegradable detergents for washing and cleaning
• We use soap/shampoo dispensers in our guest showers in order to reduce plastic waste
• We use natural fertilizers from the compost area for the maintenance of the gardens instead of products such as pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.
• We use paper sheets on both sides and shred paper when it is not used anymore
• We use recycled paper in all office areas
• We have implemented an energy-saving program that includes efficiency lighting, electrical panels which balance current surges, and solar panels to heat the water in the swimming pool
• We use damaged towels as rags to clean floors
• We replaced plastic laundry bags with reusable cloth bags
• We properly dispose of technology-related materials
• We have a program of reforestation of green areas in a farm located in Sarapiquí
• We have implemented a non-smoking policy for the majority of guest rooms and common areas
• We have implemented a system to air dry towels
• We provide support to local artists and companies by buying their products for the hotel and for sale in our souvenir shop
• We urge our guests to save water and energy by reusing towels and sheets and turning off lights when not needed
• We inform our guests about the natural attractions of Costa Rica and how to act when visiting them
Activities with the Community
Bougainvillea Hotel is the main sponsor of Fundación Debra de Costa Rica, a non-profit organization devoted to improving the quality of life of children who suffer from EpidermolisisBulosa (EB). In addition, the van der Wielen Paskel family created the Bougainvillea Foundation in April 2008 to coordinate all the social assistance of Bougainvillea Hotel. The foundation's main goal is to promote and support the education of children and young adults of limited resources. They are given the opportunity to engage in academic and technical studies leading to the improvement of their own and their families' socio-economic conditions.
Every year since its creation, the Bougainvillea Foundation has granted scholarships to elementary and high school students from the province of Heredia.
On September 30th, 2010, the Ministry of Finance authorized the foundation to accept donations and made such donations tax-deductible as per regulation # ATH-415-10.
Thanks to our financial support, institutions such as the Santo Tomás Public School and the Cristóbal Colón School have been able to add classrooms and improve their buildings. It is important to point out that both schools are recipients of the Bandera Azul (Blue Flag) ecological award.
Additionally, we donate bedding and other items to Hogar Casa de Pan.